Saturday, January 11, 2014

A Damsel in Distress...

So I live in a world, where I am told, frequently enough but not like ALL THE TIME...that I act kind of...well....princess-y.

Most of the time, it's my mom telling me that I'm a princess, and not in a "oh you're my precious baby princess" kind of way...but like "you're acting bratty and high maintenance like a princess" kind of way...

and although many a times I feel like I'm NOT being a princess....I guess...well.....

i am.

Yesterday, though, I found myself in a situation where I really could have been a princess, because the scenario involved, a balcony, a locked door, and even though the knight on a white horse was actually an asian hubby in a black prius, he still had to come and "rescue" me. 

Here is what happened.

One of our cars (and although that phrase makes me sound like a ball-ah!! who has soo many cars...we only have two.) but the one that I drive everyday needed a routine oil change. Asian husband offered to drive the car to the dealership in the morning before work to drop it off. Since, the only car seat we have for little asian baby would be in the car at the dealership and I would basically be homebound all day, we also arranged for Asian Grandma and Auntie S to come and drive me to the dealership to pick up the car when it was finished. 

As Asian Grandma, Auntie S, Little Asian Baby and I were driving around running errands and eating lunch, my mom said "why don't you just let asian husband bring the car home and we'll just drive you around all day if you need to run errands? It'll save us a trip to the dealership and asian husband can drive home himself instead of asking someone for a ride!" 

"huh." i thought. Good idea asian grandma, i'll call asian husband and tell him that's the new plan.

So I called asian husband and told him to just bring the car home himself that way it'll be easier for everyone....blah blah blah...good and smart wife I am.

UNTIL........

I realized, that since we had changed plans mid-outing...I didn't bring the house key out, because I was thinking that I would be driving my own car home with my own set of keys attached to the key fob.

"OH! DON'T WORRY!!" I said to everyone. "I can just climb up onto the balcony and open the side door! We leave it unlocked just in case something like this happens!!!" So I proudly (and nimbly) scaled the side of the building like spidey-cat-woman and made it onto the balcony. 

"JUST WAIT A SEC AND I'LL OPEN THE DOOR!" I said.

UNTIL...........

I realized that the side door was locked. 

"WHY IS THIS DOOR LOCKED? IT'S NEVER LOCKED! HOW COME IT'S LOCKED?? WHO LOCKED IT? WHAT'S GOING ON HERE?" was basically what I said.

Turns out, asian husband (who does not adopt my "que sera sera" outlook on life) thought that if an intruder were to decide to break into our house, that said intruder could easily scale the space between the staircase and our balcony (like I did) and steal our ikea furniture, vizio TV and possibly harm myself, himself & or little asian baby.

So. He locked it. (plus during the holiday season, we did see some "suspicious" people "lurking" around the complex so I guess he was right to do so)

Anyway, so there I was stuck on the balcony, unable to get into the house, unable to get back down to the ground, so I had to call asian husband to come and rescue me. What started out as a well intentioned plan to save everyone time, actually ended up being more inconvenient and time consuming in the end.

"You should take some pictures to commemorate your princess moment!" asian grandma said. 

So I did.


Asian Grandma, Auntie S and Little Asian Baby on the staircase as I stand stuck on the balcony. You can see that the space between the staircase and balcony is actually quite wide and we live on the second floor so if I had fallen, it would have died!


Asian Grandma, Auntie S and Little Asian Baby killing time by taking a stroll along the path as I watched on from the balcony.


My knight in a black prius coming to save me from my locked balcony!

Definitely a memorable day.


-little asian girl (now safely inside the house.)

No comments:

Post a Comment